Sunday, May 13, 2012

We interrupt this blog

I had planned my next post to be about all those feed bags I showed in the last one, or maybe quilt camp which was last weekend.  But instead I'm going to tell you this.

I met the Yarn Harlot! 

 

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
She taught some classes at River Colors Studio this weekend.  One my of my knitting friends and I took two of them on Friday - Knitting for Speed and Efficiency and Grok the Sock.  Stephanie is incredibly funny and a great teacher.

I learned a new knitting method - lever knitting [the video is kind of long and not from my class, but it is the Yarn Harlot].  I'm not sure I'll adopt that as my go-to knitting technique, but it was fun to learn and I plan practice on my latest 2-row scarf.

In the second class, I learned how to eliminate those annoying holes in your socks where you pick up your gusset stitches and that it doesn't make any sense to pick up the same number of stitches on each side of the heel flap, no matter what the pattern says.  There will always be one more on one side and if you just go with it, your sock will look much better.  And I will never pickup-and-knit my gussets again.  I will pick up all of my stitches on the needle first, then knit all of them. Much better.

In between classes, she signed my book.



And after classes, I got my picture taken with her.

Me and the Yarn Harlot (wish I'd had a better hair day)
 She'd been sick most of the time she was on the road, but you'd never know it.  Well, she was a bit hoarse, but she was still on her game. I'm so glad I took the classes.  Thanks, Stephanie, I had a great day.

No comments: