Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ahoy, landlubbers...

Avast ye mateys, Friday was Talk Like a Pirate Day, but didn't get around to posting. Ah well. Better late than never.

Once again, I have good news, and not so good news.

Good news - they repaved my street on Thursday:



Not so good news - they left a pile of broken concrete that was once part of the driveway apron in the tree lawn:



Based on the ends of the street, it looks like they might be planning to put another layer down soon. If not, I'll be calling the city to find out if/when they plan to pick up the rubble and fix the apron. I had a new driveway put in back in 2001, when there was a huge hump in the street. Now that the hump is gone, the apron looks pretty bad. [The lawn has been mowed since the pictures were taken, btw.]

More good news - I finished another fleece/flannel baby quilt:



And two more minkee/flannel blankets (sorry, those are kind of dark - I'll try to fix them later):



That leaves 2 more to go. I've decided to donate some of the recent baby blankets to a local charity - Providence House. They take in children in crisis, ages newborn to 5 years old, and counsel their families about how to better take care of them. They have a 93% reunion rate, meaning almost all of the kids get to go back to their families. The woman from Providence House who spoke at my women's club meeting Thursday night had us all in tears with some of the stories she was telling - little kids who slept with their shoes on because they'd never had new shoes before. I figure some of those kids would love to have a nice soft blanket to snuggle up with. So as soon as I finish all of them, I'll decide which ones to keep for future baby gifts, and which ones will find a home with special kids at Providence House.

I'm almost done with my Booga Bag, which I started Wednesday night:



I have 12 more rows to knit, along with the I-cord ties, then the magic of felting it. I'll show before and after pictures when I have them. That's Noro Kureyon, color #182, btw.

Finally, I was cleaning pictures off my old cell phone and found these of Ripley:


"Why has it taken you this long to post pictures of me, Mama? You know I'm the prettiest...."

No comments: