Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Thanks, I needed that

The weather here has been really crappy lately. Lots of gray, rainy weather. I had water from the storm sewer back up into my basement (nothing damaged), and a week ago we had 67 mph wind gusts overnight. I swear I thought either my roof was going to blow off, or the tree in my back yard was going to come through it. Neither happened, thankfully.

So Friday morning, three of us hopped in my friend's car and drove here:


The Meadowbrook Inn, Blowing Rock, NC

As you can see the weather was MUCH better there.


No gray skies or rain here

And there were lots of ducks - none of which were swimming in my basement.



We went there for the Unwind Getaway and had a great time! We each took a three classes, which I'll get to next time. This post is all about the loot.

Everyone got a goodie bag on Friday when we checked in.


Yarn, patterns, Addi circular needle, coupons and a mug from a local potter

Everyone got a door prize, and I got an extra one for being one of the newest knitters.


More yarn and a Port-A-Pocket bag

A long-distance member of our knitting group lives in NC, so she and a friend of hers drove over on Sunday afternoon for some shopping and dinner. There were yarn, pattern and tool purchases, both from the teachers at the getaway (Miss Babs, Kitchen Sink Dyeworks, Fairie Knits, Nancy's Knit Knacks and Antje Gillingham) and the local yarn shop.


There might be another sweater's worth on the way from Kitchen Sink Dyeworks


Boy, I have a lot of knitting to do....

We also supported the local non-fiber-y businesses.


Traditions Pottery, local preserves, and a pair of earrings

Here's a closer look at the earrings. I got them at a local gallery and we all thought they kind of looked liked knitting needles and yarn, in an abstract kind of way. :)


I LOVE these!

When we weren't in class, shopping or eating, we were knitting and listening to programs about knitting. There was also a fashion show on Sunday night. Did I mention we had a great time? You might be able to tell from this:


Photo shamelessly stolen from C since I didn't take any

We drove home Monday, back to cold, rainy weather. On the plus side, the yarn I won last month was waiting for me when I got home.


Miss Babs sport weight in Luna Granite colorway

Also waiting for me? Some of my favorite furry people [this is an old picture - I was too lazy to take a new one].


"Miss Ali took excellent care of us while you were gone, Mama!"

Next time, class details and other knitting progress.

3 comments:

Ann B. H. said...

YUM! the goodies have me drooling!! Can't wait to see them in person.

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Love the earrings, and I totally see needles and yarn! Good eye!

Glad the three (4?) of you had so much fun and relaxation. . .yay!

Michelle B said...

Awesome score! Sound like you guys has a great time!

Thanks again for the yarn! I love the colors! I can't wait to knit it up!