Friday, March 12, 2010

They call her the Yarn Whisperer

Her name is Jen and she has mad untangling skillz. Just look at her go:



In less than an evening she turned the mess that was the formerly Very Pink, now red/orange yarn into this:



A beautiful yarn cake, wound by hand. I am in awe of this. I will really hate to rewind into two balls when I'm ready to use it. I can't wait to see how the pink highlights look when it's knit up. I'm going to use the Little Pumpkins pattern with it.

The other ball of Very Pink yarn is going to be a purple semi-solid. I'll be dyeing it with some Wilton icing colors, just to try something new. Don't worry, I'll blog all about it when the time comes.

A few weeks ago, I took a mystery sock class at River Colors. It was in the middle of my Olympics knitting, so I hadn't blog about it till now. Here they are:


Shibui sock yarn in color #350 ManBlue

The pattern is called Laughing Matter and it's a mystery sock class by Michelle Hunter. I kind of like the spiraling color pattern it's making. The pattern is a pretty simple 6 stitch and 4 row repeat, which makes it good mindless knitting. I started the first sock in class on DPNs, then after I finished the Mermaid socks, I moved it to 2 circulars, cast on the second sock on the DPNs, caught up to the first one, then moved it to circs to so I can finish them at the same time.

I was working on them at knit night last night and biffed one. I highly recommend keeping a pair of DPNs (or a really long circular, if you like/can do Magic loop) with you if you're doing 2 socks at once on 2 circulars. If you screw up one of them, you can move it off the circular needles, fix the problem, and put it back on. In my opinion, it's better than tinking back both socks. Just be careful to A) pay attention to where you are in the pattern so you can catch the doctored sock back up to the other one and B) make sure you have the needles and sock oriented properly when you put it back on the needles so everything is going in the right direction.

I'll work on these this weekend, but Monday I'll be starting some Sinuosity socks for the KnittingNonStop KAL (Knit ALong). One of the things on my ToDo list for the weekend is to wind the yarn. I'll be using Destination Yarn, in the Sea colorway that was the inspiration for the pattern. Not very imaginative on my part, but the combination is just gorgeous.

And here's an example of all the help I have at home when I'm using my laptop:


"I don't know why Mama says she needs longer arms."

1 comment:

Ann H. said...

Lovely yarn colors! Wonder if I have anything that I should over-dye??