Now that I'm done with the stealth projects, I'm back to being able to show you my productivity. Check it out -- finished socks!
They were made with Red Heart's Heart and Sole yarn in the Toasted Almond colorway, using the sock pattern from the Red Heart web site. I don't recommend it for first time sock knitters, since they are off on the measurements for the foot. I made some adjustments (after following their instructions the first time) and now they fit. I actually think they could have been just a smidge longer, but they are definitely wearable as they are. I wore them to work today and everything.
I also finished this over the weekend.
My friend, Lisa, pieced the center. I added the border, quilted and bound it. We, along with our other friend, Kathryn, made two of these for babies of people at our office. I quilted the other one over the weekend, too, but didn't take a picture of it. I also forgot to give it to Kathryn today so she can bind it. Oh well. She's working tonight, so probably wouldn't have gotten to it anyway.
Last week, my friend, Sarah, asked me to make her some stitch markers with words on them, so I put these together on Sunday.
The column on the left are for me, along with that pair of earrings that I re-did. I'd used some really cheap gold colored plastic beads the first time, and the gold all flaked off. These ones have actual metal beads. Column #2 are the ones for Sarah herself. We'd seen a web site selling dual purpose stitch markers that were on lever-backed earring wires so you could wear them as earrings, too. She said she probably wouldn't wear them as earrings, but wanted to try them out as removable stitch markers. The last two columns are markers she asked me to make to give to her knitting friends. Hope they all like them.
Since I make my purse modifications, I decided that the zipper pull was a bit small, so I pulled some beads out of my stash to add a little beaded charm to make it easier to find the tab. Sorry for the blurry picture, but I didn't feel like pulling out the macro lens again.
While I had all my beading stuff out, I decided to put together the icicle ornament kit that was taking up space in my beading box. I followed their instructions, but after making a dozen icicles, I still had a bunch of beads left over. Here's what I eventually ended up with.
Obviously, I added the headpins, earring wires, and rings for the stitch markers. But the only beads I added were the little gold stars on the lower set of red and gold markers. Not bad for a kit I got on clearance at Michael's. Anyone want some icicles, earrings or stitch markers?
Finally, I started a new project. Actually, I started two. The first one is a garter stitch scarf to use up a skein of Lion Brand Homespun-esque yarn left over from a baby afghan that I made last summer, but didn't take a picture of that. I did, however, take a picture of this:
That's a toe-up sock, using more Heart and Sole yarn, this time in the Spring Stripe colorway. I'm using Wendy's detailed toe-up sock pattern (aka, the toe-up for dummies version). I had to rip it back once because I biffed the short rows. I also learned the importance of making sure you don't split the yarn in your provisional cast-on. But so far I like it. I definitely like the idea of not having to graft the toes at the end. I don't like that part very much. Also, the toes of my first socks are pretty pointy, which don't really fit my duck feet very well. These seem more anatomically correct for me.
I was going to start a pair of 2-at-a-time socks, but I actually knit a swatch over the weekend and my gauge was off. Not thinking properly, I thought I needed to go down a needle size, and therefore, that I didn't have the right size needles. I was wrong and needed to go up a size, so I do have the right size. I'd like to try these before my library book is due back, so maybe I'll start those later this week, too. They're done in worsted weight yarn (only 40 stitches instead of the 60 on "normal" socks), so they should knit up quickly.