Monday, April 13, 2009

Curses, frogged again

When you last saw my first toe-up sock, it looked like this:

I proceeded to follow the directions for a short-row heel. I managed somehow to end up with an extra stitch somewhere, but didn't worry about it too much. K2tog, go on from there. I did pick up an extra stitch intentionally on each side when I joined the heel back to the instep, which is supposed to close up any hole that might appear. I knit a round or two on the leg and noticed a ginormous hole on one side at the join (no, I didn't take a picture of it). Grrrr...

I tried to just add a couple of stitches after the fact to fill in the hole, but that didn't work. Then I tried to pull it back to the heel, but then I lost stitches on the foot that I didn't think I'd be able to recover. So I ripped back the heel and tried to get it back on the needles. There was a bit of cursing. And I might have thrown it once. Or twice. It now looks like this:

I'll be knitting that 1-1/4" to get back to where the heel starts Real Soon Now. Only after I had ripped it all back out did it occur to me that I should have tried the darned thing on to see if it fit. It's not been a good week.

In other news, my dad is still in the hospital. After the appendectomy on the 3rd, he had some complications and has been in ICU for a week. He's doing much better now and will hopefully be moved back to a regular room tomorrow. With any luck, he'll home soon after. While I was keeping Mom company on Friday I started this scarf, which I finished Saturday, before the Sock Incident:

It's a little shorter and narrower than my last scarf, but I think it looks pretty good for a ball of yarn I got on clearance for under a buck. Someone will enjoy it. Not John, though. He doesn't even like looking at it. It's too fuzzy for him and he says it makes his eyes hurt.

Blue had his staples removed on Friday. He's still on his special Green Peas and Duck food. We don't think he likes it all that much, but he's been eating it. He got sick a couple of times Thursday, and I was hoping that it was just the medicine I gave him on Wednesday night that upset his tummy. He hadn't been sick since then. Until today. :( The vet is stumped. I guess there's still a chance that he has IBD, even though the biopsy wasn't conclusive on that. The results said there was some of whatever indicates IBD, but they didn't think it was enough to say yes he definitely has it. My poor little baby....

No comments: