Wednesday, April 22, 2009

North Coast Needlers 2009 Quilt Show

Yeah, yeah, I know it's been a while. It's just been crazy busy lately. Seems like there was something going on every day, and if there wasn't, I was exhausted. Today I will give you a re-cap of the quilt show.

This past weekend was my guild's bi-annual quilt show. It was impressive, as usual. We have some very talented ladies in our guild. Our show isn't a judged or juried show. Guild members got to vote on quilts in different categories, Miniatures, Wall-hangings and Bed quilts with some sub-categories for pieced, applique, mixed techniques, and whether they were made by an individual or a group (i.e. more than one person). Then there are the Viewer's Choice awards, which are voted on by the general public.

I got pictures of some of the ribbon winners.


[Notice my quilt *next* to the ribbon winner]


It's not a quilt show if Gloria doesn't get a ribbon!


This one's for Ann

Some quilts got multiple ribbons.



Here is the miniature category:



They look a little forlorn there, but they were amazing. Notice the committee made small versions of the prize ribbons for them. Very cool.

These two were from a class by George Siciliano a year or so ago. That is one crazy man! But if you ever get a chance to see him, I highly recommend it.



The squares in this one are *maybe* 3/4" tall. Each one has *five* pieces in it!!



This one didn't win a ribbon, but the idea that someone not only did all those curves on the machine, but did them that size just blows my mind! The information tag is almost as big as the quilt.



Three dimensional flowers were popular at this show. Here are a couple of examples.


This quilt used fabric flowers


These were freestanding machine-embroidered lace.

I didn't win any ribbons. And I was a little disappointed that my bigger quilts both ended up hanging at the corner of the displays, so I couldn't get good pictures of them. But the hanging crew said they just ran out of room, which I guess isn't such a bad thing.



Just a couple more I'd like to show you.


This one's for Sarah

The quilting behind the chickens looks like chicken wire. The top was made by Gloria, the one who always wins a ribbon or two. It was machine quilted by Eleanor Burns' cousin in PA, who's name I can't remember. Gloria sends a lot of her quilts to cousin-somebody. She does exceptional work!

Whew! That's all for now. More on non-quilt show stuff another day.

No comments: