Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday accomplishments

A while ago I bought a set of sock blockers, which I mostly intended to use for showing off my socks. I ordered the medium size, but when I got them, they looked a bit big. Next time I ordered stuff, I ordered a small set. there's a noticeable difference in size between the two.

So I tried them out with my newly finished (yay!) toe-up socks. It turns out the medium is the right size after all. See the difference?

I'm pretty happy with the socks. One of these days, I'll be able to wear them as a pair. My left foot is still to swollen/tender to get one of these over it.

I weighed the socks and the leftover yarn from the each 50g ball. The socks weigh a bit over 30g each, so I have about 20g left in each ball. Should be enough to make some short socks, right? I'd consider making one a little bigger around to wear with my boot instead of the white sport socks I've been wearing, but I'm not sure I'd get it done in time. Plus, it's wool, so it might be too hot anyway.

I finished the second sock yesterday, no thanks to this naughty boy, who pulled one of the needles out of the sock last weekend when I left it on the couch.

"Just helping, Mama. Besides, those sticks are tasty!"

Foot update: I got the dressing off and the stitches out on Wednesday. They put those steri-strips over the incision and there's still some ink under there from where he marked where he was going to cut. So I have no idea what shape the incision is, but I can tell you it's not a straight line. I'm hoping for a Harry Potter scar, but we'll see. The tape has to stay on 7-10 days and so far it shows no sign of budging.

I spent a little time in the sewing room today. I made the quadrants for the center block of a baby quilt.

It's a group project for another guy at work, who's baby is due any day now. My friends K and L are putting border strips in those 4 prints around some blocks we cut from a pre-printed panel. Since no two quilters have the same 1/4" seam allowance, I'm waiting to trim these units and assemble the center block till I know what size the rest will be. If I assemble the block now, I'd cut off points when I trim it.

After that, I finished these two project bags that I'd started a while ago.

The fabric is kinda weird. It's a marbled black or really dark navy (hard to tell), with raised, rubbery, metallic blobs in various colors all over it. I thought it would be interesting in the Halloween quilt, but ended up not using it. I had no idea what else to do with it, so I made project bags. They'd be good for socks or some other small project. I have two, so if any of my knitting friends would like a small project bag, the first to let me know gets one.

Back to the foot. I don't have to wear the boot when I sleep anymore, but I'm nervous going to bed without something to protect my foot. So I've been wearing the little post-op shoe they gave me at the ER to bed. Since the dressing came off, my foot has been swelling at night, so I'm trying to keep it elevated when I sleep. Needless to say, it's hard to get comfortable at bedtime. That, combined with my pager going off means I got very little sleep last night.

I decided to take a little nap this afternoon while John was out and I had the house to myself. I fell asleep alone and woke up with company. If there's ever any question as to whether or not Max loves his Mama, or why he's not allowed in the bedroom at night, here's your answer.

Dang, that cat has long legs......

No comments: