This is my hero:
Early this morning, Ripley woke us up meowing her fool head off. Just as we were ready to throttle her, we smelled something like singed electronics. Our first thought was that the heated kitty bed had shorted out. We jumped out of bed and got her out of there. That wasn't it, which was both good and bad. After calling 911 and getting (count 'em) 3 fire trucks over here, we decided there was no fire in the walls and that something in the furnace had shorted out.
We turned off the furnace, went back to bed and called an HVAC company first thing this morning. They came right out and determined that the control module was bad. He cleaned the furnace, replaced the part and now we have heat again. I don't think we were actually in any danger, but I'm really thankful she woke us up anyway. Not sure the neighbors would say the same.
Why, you might be wondering, does my hero appear to be in a cage? Well, I'll tell you. Sometime on Tuesday while I was as work, my 17.5 year old cat (that would be about 86 to you and me) jumped or fell off something and tore the ligaments in her right back knee. I took her to vet yesterday and they did blood work. It looks like her kidney numbers are good enough to handle surgery. Now I have to decide whether or not to have it done. I need to talk to the vet again in the morning and weigh the options. I just want to do what's best for her. In the meantime, I borrowed a couple of dog crates from a friend and have one in the bedroom and one in the living room so we can keep her from jumping on anything else. She's not really happy with this arrangement.
Runt was not amused by all the cages and commotion, either. She hid behind the chair all morning and refused to eat her breakfast.
"I got over it."
Knitting olympics update: dismal. With all the excitement, I haven't felt like doing much knitting. I also have missed one lunchtime knitting session, and 2 knit nights. The sock is a little longer than the last picture, but not much. Also, that 4 hour car maintenance session might be put on on hold for a while, given the expenses of the last couple of days and the expense of the surgery, if we decide to go that route. I'm starting to get a little worried now.....