Sunday, February 8, 2009

No clever title today

Maybe I'm flattering myself that I *ever* have clever titles, but it's my blog and I can flatter myself once in a while. :)

A week or so ago, I picked up some Kollage square knitting needles, since I've heard they're supposed to be easier on your hands. I have recurring issues with my hands, so I thought I'd give them a try. The web site says most people need to go up a size to get gauge, so before I tried them on my current sock project, I thought I should test the gauge. I'm using US size 2 (2.75mm) needle on my socks and I'm getting about 8 stitches per inch.



So knit a tiny swatch with my Kollage needles, which are US size 3 (3.25mm). Too bad the yarn is so dark, but that's about 8 stitches per inch, too.



Then just for grins I knit another tiny swatch with some round size 3 (3.25mm) needles and got 7.5 stitches per inch.



So they're right about needing to go up a size. I don't think I'll switch needles mid-project, but I might try my next pair of socks on the square needles. Too bad they don't make a pair of square circulars big enough for my stealth project. Unfortunately, they only go up to US 10 (6mm). I'm using a size 10.5 (6.5mm) on that project. The next US size is 11, which is 8mm. That's a big jump. I doubt the 11 would work.

On a slight tanget, who came up with this US sizing chart anyway? It makes no sense. And I just did a search on knitting needle conversion and the UK sizing chart is just as bad, but the numbers run backwards. The metric system makes much more sense.

Yesterday I spent *way* too much time monkeying around on my computer working on another stealth project and my hands were killing me today. Stupid mouse..... So no progress on the sock or the existing stealth knitting project.

Instead, I embroidered a bunch of shirts for a friend of mine. I got them all folded and ready to photograph, then I left the room for minute.


Just inspecting these shirts, Mama. They pass!

Here they are without my assistant.



The top shirt is lighter than the others because it's a different brand/style. After I finished those, I did some more sewing, but it's bedtime, so you'll have to wait for my next post to see that.

Just one last thing. Emma has a request:


Please hide the rubber bands from Papa!

No comments: