They were looking at this.
That would be a man on a ladder with a BLOW TORCH, melting the ice in the gutters of the house next door. I watched him light it with his Zippo and everything. I was sure I was going to come home to a burned out shell next door and was glad I'd put the pet alert notice on the side door. The houses are really close together. I probably should have called the fire department, but didn't think of it at the time.
He didn't burn the house down, thankfully. I think he ran out of propane, though, since this is the view of the roof this morning.
The things some people think of.....